Monday, October 25, 2010

spell it all

What is it about songs nowadays and spelling the words out?

I was doing my revision and as usual I have my radio tuned in to some hit and hip station, playing the most hip and rocking tunes of the week and this one song about angels was on. It's quite a catchy tune, but it must be really new because I've not heard it before. Ok, maybe it's not so new considering I don't listen to the radio that much at these times. Anyway, the song went something like “…I will be your angel…” and in the background was those back-up singers spelling out the word ANGEL. When I heard that, the appeal of that song just fell a few notches, ok, it probably lasted for a minute; the song was really quite nice. The whole word spelling thing prompted me to do a mental calculation of how many songs that spells out a word… There's Fergie's Glamorous, another singer who sang Baby Mama, Aretha Franklin's Respect, Etta James' Woman, and Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl and that's just the few that I can remember off the top of my head right now.


Which really made me wonder... What's with songs and having words spelled out? Helping the general public with their dyslexia so that they know how to spell properly? Or is it some sort of a taboo word; very much like when we were young our teachers would spell a word out just so we don't get it;

"Honey, can you bring out the C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E from the fridge?" or "Sweetie, you think we should get her a P-R-E-S-E-N-T?"


Aside from the fact that it goes with the tune, I really don't see why a specific word should be spelled out. My conclusion is the lyricist got lazy and decided to have a word spelled out so they don't have to think of more words for the song. If that's the case, I think the lyricist for the song Glamorous must be the laziest seeing that the word has the most syllabus, but of course that's just my thinking.


So why do we spell out words in a song?

No comments: